There was a real local need for a secondary school in the area, to enable disadvantaged
children to receive an education. Monica (Kedmons spouse) is the Manager of the
Mgutwa educational project. Monica negotiated with the governmental bodies the release
of 50 acres of land which was assigned for the the purpose of building a school,
vocational centre , health and treatment centre and for farming 20 acres of land.
Three classrooms were constructed in 2008, of which one is being currently used
as a young mans dormitory. An outside latrine was also constructed. Water is obtained
from a previously sunken well nearby that has sustainable water for a few months
of the year.
Accommodation for 60 female students was constructed during 2009 and was occupied
in 2010.A long drop toilet block, a teachers house for 2 teachers, a separate staff
room were also constructed. Work on a permanent kitchen facility is nearing completion
The next phase for Mgutwa sec. school is to develop a complex for all people in the
surrounding area which enable them to access to education, healthcare and vocational
The following projects are being planned:
1. Accommodation for teachers (6 or more teachers)
2. Additional classrooms (6) for many more students.
3. Dormitories for male and female students, to accommodate 40-60 beds.
4. Visitors house to accommodate up to 6-8 people.
5. Multi purpose hall, for school assembly, sport activities and as a meeting area.
6. Vocational centre, to provide training and skills for the future of young Tanzanians.
7. Clinical and diagnostic centre for treatment and education in health issues.
(will be known as the Bethany centre).
Planning permission for the above projects have been given.
The manager responsible for the day to day responsibilities for Mgutwa secondary
high school and complex is Kedmons wife, Monica. Monica’s responsibilities are the
coordination and implementation of all aspects of the projects.
8. Solar and wind power for electricity generation. This will allow students
to study flexibly and allow the use of computers to view videos and DVDs to improve
the English language and education in general.
It is estimated that the costs of the projects outlined in 1-8 will be in the region